I had a walnut bowl I had started about 2 years ago. It is now dry and can be turned to its final form. It had developed several cracks on opposite side. I cut out a 2 inch wide section that encompassed these cracks. I had the vision of a striped segmented filling in this 2 inch gap in the bowl. I made a half circle with 30 segmented pieces, and glued it between the two pieces of the bowl. Then I turned this all on the lathe to make the final form of the bowl. I finished it with a bee’s wax and linseed oil mix. Two defects emerged in the walnut as I got to the final form. Looking at it in hindsight, I would have done the insertion differently but it still looks good. Some safety issues have been raised with this video and I completely agree. Safety is paramount. Here is a quick video on lathe safety that everyone should watch.